Learn what Johny and Brent encountered while travelling the world.
Today’s show Johny and I are going to run through my top images for 2015 and the things that I learnt last year. I put together a blog post. It was pretty difficult to choose 10 images out of the 10 countries that I traveled last year. It took me 2 weeks to write the blog and chose these images. So, we’re going to run through the things that I learnt. Every image relates to something that I learnt like life lessons; starting to analyze things that happen in life and look back and figure out what they were, what it taught me or the things that involve me with. It should be quite interesting for listeners to this podcast.
Life is exactly the same. There’s always something to learn. You never finish learning. There’s always something new. It keeps us interested in photography because it’s constantly changing.
Hope you enjoy this podcast.
Brent & Johny
I want to
I want to
learn to take
I want to
learn to take
In this episode:
(04:05) - Smokin’ reggae volcano
(06:36) - Lesson learned: Not to take things too seriously.
(10:12) - Most Beautiful Bird on Earth
(14:02) - You can find beauty and things to shoot in your own backyard.
(15:09) - Awesome Photography Community
(15:34) - Being able to hang with other photographers in a “virtual community”.
(17:14) - Helping out in Vanuatu
(19:36) - Our problems are nothing compared to what other people are having.
(20:21) - Be grateful for what you have.
(23:22) - Focus on helping others and don’t expect anything in return.
(24:57) - Sold my Photography Business
(27:46) - The last image I did while I still owned Capture Imaging Photography
(28:37) - Resistance – the closer you get to a goal and the bigger goal you have, the more resistance you get right at the finish line.
(30:48) - Started Surfing Again
(31:47) - Slow down and find a way to meditate
(36:48) - 3 Free Photography Courses
(37:27) - 52 Share Inspire Create (SIC) Shows
(38:38) - PhotoProfit – The Business of Photography
(39:13) - Europe Travels
(45:12) - Fiji Photography Workshop
(46:34) - Creative people in one place
(46:34) - Worimi Aboriginal Ceremony
Top 10 Images from 2015
Smokin’ Reggae Volcano
- Shot in in a big island in Hawaii with Jay and Varina a year ago
- Wait for the sunset to see the lava
- The gases from the volcano rises up and the glow from the lava lights up the gases
- Johny was playing his music sets the mood
- Cool blue tones to the top to those orange lava tones
Lesson learned: Not to take things too seriously. Just have fun and have a good time.
The Most Beautiful Bird on Earth
- The rainbow lorikeet.
- Shot this with the Fujifilm X-T1, and the 50mm-140mm F2.8 lens
- Post processed in Lightroom to get the amazing colors
Lesson learned: You can find beauty and things to shoot in your own backyard, no need to travel around the world.
Awesome Photography Community
- Johny and I launched our awesome photography community last March
- Help photographers improve their photography
- Become inspired and get positive feedback on their images
- Hang out with other cool photographers
- The most popular in the is the monthly assignment
Lesson learned: We are all social beings - being able to hang with other photographers in a “virtual community”.
Helping out in Vanuatu
- Help out after cyclone Pam devastated these islands
- All about the local people who are in major need of help
- People lost their homes and no crop to eat
- Travelled there and help for 10 days
- The gratitude that we experienced from these people
- Our problems are nothing compared to what other people are having.
- Be grateful for what you have.
- Focus on helping others and don’t expect anything in return.
Sold my Photography Business
- Why sold my photography business?
- I want to help many people in my photography business
- Helping other photographers run their businesses
- Looking for a new challenge
- The last image I did while I still owned Capture Imaging Photography
Lesson learned: Resistance – the closer you get to a goal and the bigger goal you have, the more resistance you get right at the finish line.
Started Surfing Again
- Shot at my local surf break “box beach”
- It stops me from working
- Little bit driven sometimes to get things done
- Having so much fun by being out here
- You got to have fun now and enjoy what’s happening around you right now.
- There is no future; the past is just a memory.
- You always live for the future and forgot to live for the present.
- Use what you’ve got that’s around you and it’s free.
- Slow down and find a way to meditate.
3 Free Photography Courses
- Free Landscape Photography Course
- Free Portrait Photography Course
- Free Post-processing Course
52 Share Inspire Create (SIC) Shows
- Celebrated 12 months of the SIC show
- All the great photographers we interviewed
PhotoProfit – The Business of Photography
- Launched my photoprofit podcast
- Getting started with my 8 Week Course
- Took my family to Europe for 6 weeks
- The image I got is of the acropolis in Athens
- Long exposure; 10 stop ND filter
- The black and white image was taken on the Greek island of Crete
- Wanted to get a shot not many tourist will take
- Good lighting and the detail on his face
Fiji Photography Workshop
- 3 day workshop in Fiji
- Got to hang out with amazing photographers
- Created a new course with jay and Varina Patel
- The image was taken while filming a lesson with Varina at sunrise
- Creative people in one place
- Love the spirit of the place like the Fiji and the people
- No matter how big you think of photography is, everyone is just humans.
- Number one priority for you is your health.
- Meeting big names photographers and it’s possible for anyone to become whatever they want to do.
Worimi Aboriginal Ceremony
- The official opening of the Worimi conservation lands management scheme
- The “smoking ceremony” where everyone who attended these lands was “cleansed” of any bad spirits.
- Get involve and be part of it.
- Get the chance to be part of the event and immerse yourself in the culture
Lesson learned: The land doesn’t belong to us; we belong to the land. Make sure that the land is taken care of.
Johny's website/podcast - http://threecolors.co/
Top 10 Images from 2015 - http://brentmailphotography.com/news/top-10-images-and-life-lessons-from-2015.html
Essential Filters - http://visualwilderness.com/product/efc
Composition Tip for Better Photos - http://brentmailphotography.com/photography-tips/composition-tip-for-better-photos.html
The SIC Community - http://www.shareinspirecreate.com/lounge
Trip to Vanuatu - http://www.shareinspirecreate.com/sic/34
Wave Milk Lightroom Magic - http://brentmailphotography.com/photography-tips/wave-milk-lightroom-magic.html
Portrait Photography for Profit - http://brentmailphotography.com/shop/portrait-photography-for-profit
F Stop Lounge Photography Workshop - http://fstoplounge.com/product/f-stop-lounge-fiji-2015-workshop/